Global Vintners Wine Making Instruction
STEP 1: DAY 1 - PRIMARY FERMENTATION
- Clean and sanitize equipment to be used. Bring all kit components up to room temperature.
- Pour 2 L (8 cups) of hot tap water into bottom of the primary fermenter and stir in Bentonite. Mix well. It is normal for Bentonite to not fully dissolve in water.
- Pour contents of the juice base bag into the primary fermenter. Rinse out bag with water and pour into fermenter.
- Top primary fermenter up to 23 L (6 gallon) mark with good quality, cool drinking water.
- Add Grape Skins. To do this, sanitize the included muslin bag by dipping it into your sulphite solution. The included sulphite/sorbate packet is not used for this purpose. Rinse thoroughly. Line a clean/sanitized 5 L (20 cup) container with the muslin bag. Open grape skin cap or cut along the bottom of the bag and squeeze grape skins into the muslin-lined container. Rinse out grape skin bag with 250 mL (1 cup) of water and add to container. Pull the sides of the muslin bag up and tie with a single knot. Place bag of grape skins in primary fermenter along with any juice left in the container.
- If your kit contains Oak Chips or Granular Oak, stir in now. If your kit contains oak cubes, they will be added at a later stage.
- Stir vigorously for 3-4 minutes and take S.G. reading immediately. If S.G. is not in range, wait 10 minutes and repeat stirring.
- Sprinkle Dry Yeast on top of juice base (if your kit contains two packages of yeast, add both now).
- Place loose fitting lid, or primary lid with airlock filled halfway with sulphite solution on primary fermenter.
- Keep fermentation area warm (20°C to 25°C or 68°F to 77°F) for the entire winemaking process.
GRAPE SKIN BAG MUST BE PUNCHED DOWN (SUBMERGED) DAILY UNTIL STEP 2
STEP 2: DAY 14 - STABILIZING/DEGASSING
- Check chart for required S.G. reading. Measure the S.G. If wine is not in range, check again in 48 hours. If in range, record the number.
- Using sanitized spoon carefully remove the grape skins bag from the fermenter. Gently press the juice out of the bag and into the fermenter. Discard bag.
- Using sanitized equipment carefully syphon (rack) wine into a clean/sanitized carboy leaving sediment behind.
- Add Sulphite/Sorbate directly into the carboy of wine.
- Agitate wine using a sterilized stirring spoon. Vigorously stir wine, changing direction intermittently for 10 minutes. Alternately, wine can be degassed using a drill with degassing attachment for 2-4 minutes at medium speed reversing direction every 30 seconds. See General Information for more detail on degassing.
- Stir in Kieselsol. If your kit contains two, add one package now. The other will be added at a later stage.
- Fit airlock filled halfway with sulphite solution into the neck of the carboy and leave for 24 hours.
STEP 3: DAY 15 - CLEARING
- Stir in Chitosan(s).
- If your kit contains a second Kieselsol, stir in one hour after Chitosan addition.
- If your kit contains Oak Cubes, stir them in now.
- If your kit contains Reserve(s), stir in now.
- Replace airlock and leave wine to sit in a warm (20°C to 25°C or 68°F to 77°F), undisturbed area away from direct heat and light.
- After 5 days, give the carboy a twist (without lifting) to allow any sediment stuck to the walls of the carboy to drop.
- Continue clearing process according to the chart below.
|WINE KIT |||POLISHING RACK DAY |||BOTTLING DAY|
STEP 4: DAY 26-54 - POLISHING RACK/AGING
- Wine should be perfectly clear. If not, leave wine another 7-14 days to finish clearing.
- Carefully rack wine off of sediment (and oak cubes if present) into a clean and sanitized carboy fitted with a solid bung.
- Leave wine to sit undisturbed a minimum of 2 days to allow settling.
- If aging your wine longer than 3 months, add 1.5g (1/4 tsp) of potassium metabisulphite to the wine at this time to help preserve flavour and colour.
- If filtering wine, do so at this stage. NEVER FILTER CLOUDY WINE.
STEP 5: BOTTLING (CLEAR WINE ONLY)
- Carefully syphon your wine into clean and sanitized bottles.
- Cork bottles and leave upright for 3-5 days allowing cork to expand. Invert or store on side to keep cork moist. Store wine at 11°C to 18°C or 52°F to 65°F. If choosing to carboy age wine, top-up with a similar style wine and fit with a solid stopper. Bottle aging is the preferred method.